The numbers don’t lie. Fatal car accidents occur more frequently in America than most people think.
The Numbers Are Alarming
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), between 30,000 and 40,000 people lose their lives each year in fatal car accidents. Statistics prove you are at risk of being involved in a Daytona Beach car accident every time you get behind the wheel.
More Specific Numbers
Though the numbers vary from year to year, too many families are left with the pain of dealing with the loss of a loved one due to an auto accident. The NHTSA reports that:
- In 2010, automobile-related accidents claimed the lives 32,885 people.
- In 2009, crashes claimed the lives of 30,797 people.
- In 2008, that number was 37,172.
- In 2007, that number was 37,435.
Understanding Who the Victims Are
Car accident victims consist of many groups, including drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and motorcyclists. The NHTSA cites that, of those killed each year:
- 52.1 percent are drivers.
- 13.1 percent are motorcyclists.
- 12.1 percent are pedestrians.
- Nearly 2 percent are bicyclists.
By Days of the Week
The NHTSA also looked at when fatal crashes are more likely to occur. Statistics suggest that:
- 12 percent of fatal crashes are likely to occur on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays.
- 13 percent on Thursdays.
- 16 percent on Fridays.
- 19 percent on Saturdays.
- 16 percent on Sundays.
Four Common Factors Surrounding Fatal Wrecks
A car accident can happen in the blink of an eye, leaving you with a lifetime of pain and suffering. Many factors can lead to an accident. The NHTSA reports that:
- 32 percent of fatal crashes involve alcohol.
- 31 percent involve driving too fast.
- 16 percent involve driving distractions, such as texting, cell phone use, and personal grooming, while behind the wheel.
- 11 percent involve bad weather, such as heavy rain.
Your Next Step
No matter how safe of a driver you are, the negligence of another person can leave you with a debilitating injury. You don’t have to let that person get away with their poor driving decisions. An experienced car accident attorney can help you hold that person liable for your injuries and get you the compensation you deserve.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident, contact one of our experienced Daytona Beach car accident attorneys at Johnson & Gilbert, P.A. at (386) 673-4412 or (800) 556-8890. We will treat you with the respect you deserve.