The University of Southern California conducted the motorcycle crash study. Some of the facts uncovered by the researchers include the following:
- Roadway defects was only cited as a factor in 2 percent of the crashes.
- The majority of motorcycle collisions are the result of motorists who don’t see or recognize the motorcyclists.
- The chances of being in a motorcycle accident go up in an intersection.
- Alcohol was only identified as a cause in about 50 percent of deadly motorcycle crashes.
- Most of the motorcycle accidents studied involved a collision with another vehicle.
- Numerous motorcycle accidents were the result of a vehicle turning left in front of an oncoming motorcycle.
- Weather was a contributing cause in only 2 percent of motorcycle accidents.
- A motorcycle accident is rarely caused by defects with the bike.
- Head and chest injuries were the most deadly in these types of crashes.
- In two-thirds of the cases that involved more than one vehicle, the motorist violated the motorcyclist’s right-of-way.
If you have been injured in a Florida motorcycle accident, you should contact an experienced Daytona Beach motorcycle accident attorney who can explain your rights to compensation and answer your legal questions. Contact the law firm of Johnson & Gilbert today at (800) 556-8890 or (386) 673-4412. We represent cases in Volusia County, Flagler County, Putnam County, Seminole County, Lake County, Orange County, St. Johns County, Brevard County and Osceola County.