A Daytona Beach motorcycle crash can result in dire consequences. Unfortunately, they occur more often than most people think. It’s the responsibility of all drivers, including riders, to understand the frequency of crashes and how to avoid them.
In this article, our team of experienced lawyers discusses key statistics concerning motorcycle crashes in Florida to help you understand your risks every time you hop on your bike.
Frequency of Crashes, Injuries, and Deaths
According to Ride Smart Florida, motorcycle crashes in Florida are dropping. The number of accidents peaked in 2008 with 9,618 crashes resulting in 8,519 injuries. The group determined that:
- Those numbers dropped to 7,484 crashes and 6,686 injuries in 2010.
- In 2008, 502 people lost their lives in crashes.
- That number dropped to 350 in 2010.
A Look at Injuries by Age and Gender
The group also looked at 2010 motorcycle accidents by age and gender, showing that the majority of accidents occurred among men between the ages of 25 and 64. More specifically:
- A total 6,097 men were injured in crashes.
- 573 women were injured.
- Of those men, 4,439 were between the ages of 25 and 64.
- 535 males under the age of 21 were also injured.
A Look at Fatalities by Age and Gender
According to Ride Smart Florida, riders between the ages of 45 and 54 were more likely to lose their lives than any other age group in 2010. The median age of fatally injured motorcyclists was 42 years old.
Other Facts to Consider
There are many other facts and statistics to consider when looking at Florida motorcycle crashes, including:
- Volusia County was among the most popular counties for crashes.
- In 2009, alcohol was a factor in 37 percent of fatal crashes.
- In 2010, 37 percent of fatal victims were reportedly not wearing a helmet.
- Nearly half of deadly accidents occur on the weekends.
Not All Motorcycle Accident Injury Cases Are the Same
To most accident victims, their accident injury case appears to be a slam dunk. However, that may not the case. Not all cases are the same, and building a successful motorcycle accident case can be more difficult than it appears. There are many factors to consider. That is why you should contact an experienced motorcycle accident injury attorney who can help.
Our Team Can Help
At Johnson & Gilbert, P.A., we have helped hundreds of motorcycle crash victims get the medical attention and compensation they deserve. Our experienced Daytona Beach motorcycle accident attorneys will work hard to protect your compensation rights. Call our team at (386) 673-4412 or (800) 556-8890, and let us help you get started today.