Though you never anticipate being involved in an accident with a tractor-trailer, a Daytona Beach truck accident can result in a lifetime of pain and suffering and impact your quality of life. Most truck accidents lead to catastrophic results, especially due to the size and weight of a semi.
A truck accident can leave you wondering what to do and where to turn. In this article, we discuss important steps you should take immediately following a collision with a large truck.
The first step is to determine if anyone has been injured. Assess yourself, your passengers, and anyone else involved in the wreck for possible injuries. In addition, you should dial 911 immediately.
Get Medical Attention Quickly
No matter how slight your injuries appear, you should get medical attention as quickly as possible. Failing to do so could jeopardize your personal injury case. Make sure to:
- Take pictures of your injuries immediately.
- Detail your injuries and symptoms in a journal.
- Visit you own doctor, even if you have been treated at the accident scene or in an emergency room.
Once the accident scene is cleared, it may be too late to gather critical evidence needed to successfully build your injury case. Before you leave the accident scene, and if possible, you should get:
- As many pictures of the accident scene as you can.
- The names and contact information of the other drivers, including phone numbers and addresses.
- The driver’s license numbers, registration information, and insurance information of the other drivers involved.
- The names and contact information from any witnesses to the crash.
- As much information as possible about all the vehicles involved in the collision.
Avoid Talking to the Insurance Companies
You can count on the fact that the other insurance company or companies will contact you. They will ask for a statement from you. Avoid talking to them before you speak to your own truck accident lawyer. Keep in mind that they work for the trucking company and will attempt to pay you as little as possible by discrediting your case.
Speak to a Truck Accident Attorney as Quickly as Possible
Again, the trucking company’s goal is to discredit your case. That is why you need to talk with an experienced lawyer as quickly as possible, who understands the tactics that will be used against you. You need to become fully aware of your compensation rights and how not to be taken advantage of.
If you or someone you know has been injured in an auto accident involving a semi-truck, contact one of our experienced Daytona Beach truck accident attorneys at Johnson & Gilbert, P.A. at (386) 673-4412 or (800) 556-8890. Our goal is to get you the medical treatment and compensation you deserve.