Florida work injuries occur every day in our state. Though you may think it will never happen to you, a work injury can leave you unable to work and support your family. That is why you need to know what to do if you get hurt while at work and how to file a Florida workers’ compensation claim.
What You Should Do if You Are Injured at Work
Acquiring workers’ comp has become more difficult and complicated than it should be. In the event you are injured at work, no matter how slight your injury appears, you should:
- Report your injury. The first step is reporting your injury to your employer. Your employer will be legally obligated to report the incident to their insurance company. Keep in mind that you have 30 days to report your injury.
- Seek medical attention. Your doctor has a responsibility to ensure you get the necessary medical attention. Make sure you fully describe your injury to your doctor and follow their instructions. You may also want to keep a detailed journal of your injury and symptoms.
- Complete proper paperwork. Complete a First Report of Injury or Illness Form. Keep a copy of all forms for your records.
- Make no official statements. You should avoid giving any official statements to your employer or their insurance company without first talking to an experienced Florida workers’ comp attorney. They may not have your best interest in mind.
- Seek legal advice. You will need someone who is on your side and will have your best interest in mind. A workers’ comp attorney can help guide you through the complex process of filing a workers’ comp claim and getting the benefits you are entitled to.
Order Your Free Book
You will be left with a lot of questions if you are injured at work. You can get a lot of these questions answered by ordering a copy of our free book, It’s Not Rocket Science, It’s Worker’s Comp.
Our Team Can Help
At Johnson & Gilbert, P.A., we have helped hundreds of work-related accident victims get the compensation they deserve. We will help you work with your employer and their insurance company to ensure you get any eligible workers’ compensation benefits.
Our experienced Florida workers’ Compensation attorneys at Johnson & Gilbert, P.A. can be reached at (386) 673-4412 or (800) 556-8890. Let us help you get started today.