No one anticipates being involved in an accident when they turn the key. Unfortunately, a Daytona Beach car accident can happen anytime and anywhere, leaving you and/or your loved ones seriously injured. Because of this, you should know what to do if you ever find yourself in this unfortunate position. The success of your injury case could depend on it.
We have compiled this simple list of steps you should take if you are involved in a wreck:
- Check for injuries. The first thing you should do is make sure that everyone is safe and that no one is seriously injured. Dial 911 if someone needs immediate medical attention.
- Identify the other driver or drivers. Identify who the other driver is immediately. You will also want to note if that person is not the owner of the vehicle. Exchange personal information such as names, phone numbers, addresses, driver’s license numbers, registration information, and insurance details. This information will be vital for the success of your case. The more information you obtain, the better.
- Identify witnesses. It’s also critical that you identify anyone who may have witnessed the accident. Their testimony could lend legitimacy to your own version of how the accident occurred. Get names, phone numbers, addresses, and email addresses.
- Take pictures. It’s often been said that a picture says a 1000 words. The same holds true in the courtroom. Use your cell phone to snap as many pictures of the accident scene as possible. Visual evidence can often be the most persuasive.
- Report your accident to your insurance carrier. Your insurance company needs to be notified of your accident, even if the accident was your fault.
- Hire your own attorney. It’s almost inevitable that you will be contacted by the other driver’s insurance company. You can count on the fact that they understand the legal system better than you do. No matter how nice they seem over the phone, they are not your friend. Their ultimate goal is to pay you as little as possible for your damages. Don’t let them take advantage of you.
Where to turn
Call the experienced team at Johnson & Gilbert, P.A. We have helped countless auto accident victims recover financially for their damages.
We not only understand the legal system, we are aware of the tricks that the other insurance company will use to take discredit your case. We will work hard to defend your rights and get you the compensation you deserve.
If you or someone you know was injured in a car accident, contact one of our experienced Daytona Beach car accident attorneys at Johnson & Gilbert, P.A. at (386) 673-4412 or (800) 556-8890. We can help you determine your next legal step.