The USAA studied 171,000 deployments over a three-year period ending in February 2010. Of those deployments, 158,000 were USAA members.
The study itself
In its study, the USAA concluded that:
What the study concluded
- Deployed soldiers returning from overseas have a 13 percent higher chance of causing a car accident within the first six months of returning home than in the six months leading up to their deployment.
- Members of the Air Force and Navy were less likely to be involved in a car accident as opposed to those in the Army and Marines.
- Military personnel under the age of 22 were more likely to be in an accident where they were at fault than those over the age of 29.
The USAA concluded that military training may be a contributing factor. Many soldiers are taught how to avoid improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and other roadside dangers while serving in combat conditions. In many instances soldiers applied these driving behaviors used to keep them safe in Baghdad and Kabul to roads at home.
Major contributing factor
The USAA suggests that they number of deployments a soldier serves may have a direct correlation to the rate of accidents they are in. According to the USAA study, soldiers who served:
Accounting for the number of deployments
- Three or more deployments were involved in 36 percent more auto accidents.
- Two-deployment soldiers were involved in 27 percent more.
- One-deployment soldiers were involved in 12 percent more.
“USAA has shared its research with each military branch’s safety center commanders,” the company said. “USAA has also shared the study with academics and traffic safety experts and has taken steps to make USAA members aware of the behind-the-wheel risks for returning troops.”
USAA gets involved
A car accident can leave you with a debilitating injury and unable to earn a living. You might be faced with a mountain of medical bills you can’t pay. If your injury was the result of another person’s negligence, you might be able to hold that person liable for your damages.
If you have been injured in a car accident
The team at Johnson & Gilbert, P.A. has helped countless of car accident injury victims. We are experienced in handling car accident injury claims and insurance companies. Our goal is to help you build your case and to get you the best settlement possible.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident, contact one of our experienced Daytona Beach car accident attorneys at Johnson & Gilbert, P.A. at (386) 673-4412 or (800) 556-8890.