Your mother has taken care of you your entire life, so it was only natural you would take care of her when her disability proved too much. She is unable to provide for herself, so you stepped up and offered to have her move in with you. Although you don’t mind helping her, it is quite expensive.

Between the extra food you have to provide, the added cost of utilities, her medication and other medical needs, and the time spent away from your work to give the care, the bills are adding up, and you need a little help.

You May Have Access to Your Loved One’s Social Security Benefits

If someone in your family is disabled and not competent to care for herself, the Social Security Administration will allow one designated person to receive the beneficiary’s disability payments. If you become this designated person, you are held legally responsible for her benefits, and these duties:

  1. Returning any unearned benefits to the Social Security Administration.
  2. Making executive decisions about the beneficiary’s needs, including what his or her needs are and how they can best be met.
  3. Purchasing items that will improve the quality of life for the beneficiary.
  4. Ensuring that the beneficiary receives adequate and prompt medical treatment.
  5. Investing the beneficiary’s leftover disability funds in an interest-bearing savings or investment account.
  6. Reporting any changes in the beneficiary’s status to the Social Security Administration.
  7. Keeping detailed records of the payments received, the items you purchased, and how much was spent.
  8. Communicating with other medical facilities and agencies that require the beneficiary’s Social Security disability insurance information.

We Can Answer Your Questions

Taking on the task of representative payee is a serious responsibility. The attorneys of Johnson and Gilbert may be able to help you make this decision by answering any questions you have about this subject.

Join The Conversation
Post A Comment