The paperwork and potential roadblocks encountered when applying for federally funded disability benefits can be less daunting with the assistance of Social Security disability lawyers in Florida. The Ormond Beach law firm of Johnson & Gilbert has successfully dealt with eligibility issues daily for over 15 years.
While you may apply for disability benefits in person, by telephone, or through the Internet, gathering and organizing the many documents required is among the ways Social Security disability lawyers can help.
Among the things you must do is gather pertinent information about yourself, including:
- A certificate of your birth or baptism
- All medical records and laboratory and test results regarding your disability
- A copy of your most recent W-2 tax form
- Your federal tax return from the previous year, if you’re self employed
- Your Social Security number
Social Security will also want to know if you have filed previous claims for workers’ compensation or insurance. If you have, you must provide claim numbers and contact information for the providers.
Your Social Security claims evaluator will also want:
- Contact information for all the health care providers working with you regarding your disability
- Detailed information regarding medications, including names and dosage
- An estimate from your health provider on how long your disability will prevent you from working. You may not eligible for benefits unless your disability prevents you from working for at least a year or your condition is expected to end in death
- Names of all your employers and job descriptions for your five most recent jobs
- Personal banking information—including account and routing numbers—if you plan to have payments deposited electronically
Serving the greater Daytona Beach, central and north Florida areas, the Social Security disability attorneys at Johnson & Gilbert know the importance of well-prepared claims presentations. If you or someone you know plans to file a claim, call them at 386.673.4412 or toll free at 800.556.8890 to arrange a free consultation.