When pedestrians are struck by passenger vehicles or commercial trucks, they can suffer catastrophic injuries, and even die from them.
Unfortunately, someone has a significantly higher risk of being involved in a pedestrian accident in Florida than in other states.
Florida Pedestrian Accident Statistics
A recent Dangerous by Design 2016 report by Smart Growth America revealed that Florida tops its list of the most dangerous states, featuring multiple hazardous metropolitan communities for pedestrians. The report findings revealed:
- Between 2005 and 2014, 46,149 individuals nationwide were walking and killed when struck by a car.
- During this time period, 5,142 pedestrians in Florida died as a result of a pedestrian accident—the largest number in the U.S.
- Minorities made up 46.1 percent of all fatalities in the country.
- Senior adults are also at higher risk of being killed—approximately 50 percent of individuals 65 and older more likely to be struck and killed while walking than people in younger demographics.
Seven Florida cities—including Daytona Beach and Ormond Beach—are in the top 10 most dangerous metropolitan areas for walkers. Here's how the top cities are ranked:
- Cape Coral/Fort Meyers, FL
- Palm Bay/Melbourne/Titusville, FL
- Orlando/Kissimmee/Sanford, FL
- Jacksonville, FL
- Deltona/Daytona Beach/Ormond Beach, FL
- Lakeland/Winter Haven, FL
- Tampa Beach/St. Petersburg/Clearwater, FL
- Jackson, MS
- Memphis, TN/MS/AR
- North Port/Sarasota/Bradenton/FL
In addition, the Miami/Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach area was listed as the 11th most dangerous community.
Contact Our Firm for Assistance
Was a loved one killed in a pedestrian accident? Were you struck by a car while walking or jogging? In Florida, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and wrongful death from the at-fault motorist.
Our skilled pedestrian accident attorneys are ready to file your claim with the negligent driver’s insurance company and to fight for the settlement you deserve. We represent clients throughout the greater Central and Northern Florida area. To discuss your accident and your legal options, call our office today to schedule a free consultation.