Twelve percent may seem like a small number, but why take a chance? If you had a 12% chance of serious injury hang gliding, you probably would either not hang glide or take action to reduce your chances of getting hurt. Doesn't it make sense to take the same precautions when you drive?
Precautions to take
- Make sure your tires are inflated correctly. Check at least once a week. Always check before going on a long trip. Make sure you inflate to the recommended pressure. You should be able to find that pressure on your door pillar or in your manual.
- Make sure you check your tires for excessive wear. Replace worn tires. If your tires are wearing unevenly, have your front end checked and your tires balanced and rotated. You will get much more use out of them.
- Make sure you don't drive with bad brakes. They may squeal, meaning you need the pads replaced or have another problem. If they feel soft or they pull, have someone check your brakes to see what the problem is. Stopping is important.
- If your brake warning light comes on, have your brakes checked immediately.
- If your amber ABS warning light comes on or remains on, your ABS system is likely disabled and cannot help you when you need to stop. Have that system checked as soon as possible. You need the ABS system on slick roads or with a hard stop.
- Windshield wiper blades are easy to replace. Make sure yours are in good condition and provide you with the visibility you need to drive safely.
- Make sure all of your lights, including the brake lights and turn signals, work. Check them regularly.
- Check your steering if it wanders when you are driving straight or pulls. You may have a linkage and suspension problem.
- To drive safely, keep your car mechanically sound. Don't be one of the unlucky 12%.
The Ormond Beach law firm of Johnson & Gilbert, P.A. understands the serious nature of truck and automobile accidents and the injuries that can result. Our firm will investigate the causes of any accident and pursue appropriate legal action.
Call a Daytona Beach car accident attorney today at 800-556-8890 for a free and confidential consultation if you have been involved in a car or truck accident.