You always thought that retiring in Daytona Beach would be ideal, but you never dreamed it would happen so soon. You recently realized that the pain you experience because of your medical condition makes working impossible, so you’ve decided to file for Social Security Disability Insurance.
Your hope is that you’ll receive enough in order to provide for you and your family. However, you’ve discovered the world of Social Security is one big mystery, and you are full of questions.
We Have the Answers You Need to Know
Do you know how much Social Security you’ll receive? How about how long it takes to kick in? Here, we discuss the important topics you probably don’t know, but need to:
- How much will I receive? The amount of Social Security benefits you’ll receive depend upon your average lifetime earnings before you became disabled.
- Can I take out money of my Social Security? In some cases, disability money can be taken out to pay for child support, divorce settlements, taxes, and child support.
- How long will it take? The Social Security approval process is anything but quick. Applicants can wait anywhere from one month to two years to receive approvals. Typically, the more severe your condition, the quicker you’ll hear a response.
- How far back will Social Security pay me? The answer to this question depends on how far back you applied for the help and when you became disabled.
- Will I have to pay my student loans if I’m approved for Social Security? Quite often, student loans are forgiven when the student is placed on Social Security insurance for disability.
- Can I work part-time and receive Social Security? Typically, if you are able to work at all—even only part time—you will not receive Social Security disability benefits. There is a maximum amount of outside income you may earn and retain your benefits, but that amount is tiny.
We May Be Able to Help
The legal team of Johnson and Gilbert has served those in the Daytona Beach area with their Social Security needs for many years. We feel confident we can answer your questions and possibly help you receive the assistance you need.
Contact us today to find out what we can do for you.