If you must file a workers’ comp claim following an injury on the job, you might know you need the assistance of an experienced workers’ compensation attorney to file your claim.
However, it may feel overwhelming to determine which one is qualified out of the many who advertise in Daytona Beach. In this article, we share tips on how to find the right attorney who you can trust to fight for the workers’ compensation benefits you deserve.
Ways to Find Potential Workers’ Compensation Attorneys
When searching for a lawyer, it's important to understand what to consider. You want an attorney who handles many workers’ compensation cases as part of his practice, and who has a track record of success in both settling and trying these cases. You should also look for an attorney who explains aspects of the process well; communicates promptly with detail; and is someone you feel you can trust.
You can find reputable legal counsel by:
- Obtaining a referral from a friend, family member, co-worker, or another attorney who doesn't practice this area of law.
- Contacting your county or state bar associations for a referral under they're bar referral program.
- Conducting a search online, but keep in mind many attorneys have websites now. So look for helpful information on their sites such as articles on workers’ compensation, successful case results, and testimonials from clients.
Next Step: Interview Potential Candidates
Once you have some names of attorneys, narrow your list down to three choices. Then, take advantage of the free initial consultations offered by lawyers and schedule appointments with them.
These consultations provide an opportunity to interview them and learn how they believe they can help you.
Arrive at your appointment prepared with a list of questions. Here are some possibilities:
- How much of your practice involves workers’ compensation cases?
- How long have you concentrated on this field?
- What's your typical caseload of workers’ compensation cases?
- Can you describe some of these cases you’ve handled and their outcomes?
- Will you do the actual work in representing me and if not, who at the firm will?
- How will I be kept up-to-date as my case progresses?
- How long do you think it will take to resolve the case?
- What do you think is the approximate value of my claim?
Be Clear on the Financial Arrangement
While the attorneys need time to evaluate your case more thoroughly, they may be able to estimate settlement expectations. It's important to be clear on the financial arrangement you have with the attorneys.
Some bill for their services on an hourly basis. Others agree to be compensated on a contingency fee, based on the amount of your settlement. Make sure you're completely clear about costs, fees, and expenses. The attorney should be able to approximate typical expenses based on cases similar to yours.
Did you suffer a workplace injury in Daytona Beach or North Central Florida? Our skilled workers’ compensation attorneys are ready to help secure workers' compensation benefits to enable your recovery.
To learn more about our years' of experience handling these cases and our track record of success, fill out the form on this page to schedule your free initial consultation.