Being involved in a car accident can be a frightening and overwhelming experience, especially if you or a loved one suffered serious injuries.
Fortunately, you may be entitled to compensation if another driver caused the wreck. However, there are important steps you should follow to strengthen the value of your claim.
Protect Yourself by Taking These Actions
What you do right after your accident can have crucial consequences when you need to file a claim with the negligent driver’s insurance company. The reality is even if the other driver’s fault is clear cut, his insurance company could dispute the evidence in an effort to deny or reduce your claim.
To reinforce your claim, here are six important steps to take right after your crash:
- Seek immediate medical care. Even if you don't believe you were hurt, you should be examined by a doctor promptly after the crash, as some injuries don't become apparent until days or weeks after the accident. The initial examination establishes root cause and continues to demonstrate the chain of events affecting your health.
- Contact police. You'll need a police report when filing your insurance claim. In addition, the report can have helpful information, such as the driver’s contact details, a narration of how the crash occurred, the officer’s conclusions as to who caused it, and whether a citation was issued.
- Obtain contact information. This includes the driver, his insurance company, and any witnesses to the wreck. It's crucial to get information from third-party witnesses who could be helpful in proving the other driver’s negligence.
- Take photographs. Document the accident scene, damage to any vehicles involved in the wreck, road conditions, your injuries, and any other evidence you think may be helpful for the claim.
- Report the accident to your insurance company. You're required to report the car accident to your insurance company—even if you were at fault in causing the wreck.
- Retain an attorney. You need to hire an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible after your collision. He can investigate your accident, collect the evidence you need, and negotiate the fair settlement you deserve.
The knowledgeable legal team at Johnson & Gilbert, P.A. has helped countless auto accident victims obtain a fair settlement for their injuries. To learn about your legal options and how we can assist you, call our office to schedule your free consultation.