In the Daytona Beach area, bike riding for recreation, exercise, or commuting is a popular choice.
While it can be a way to stay healthier and save money, it can also be dangerous if a negligent driver causes a bicycle accident that leaves a rider with severe injuries that result in long-term consequences or even death.
Common Injuries Bike Riders Suffer in Accidents
The injuries bicyclists suffer when a driver hits them tend to be catastrophic because they only have their helmets to protect them. Even when a vehicle is traveling at a slow speed, it still has greater weight and mass than the rider's fragile body can withstand.
Some common injuries caused in these tragic crashes include:
- Head injuries. Even when a bicyclist is wearing a helmet, he can suffer a concussion, skull fracture, intracranial hemorrhaging, traumatic brain injury, or other head and brain injuries. Someone with brain damage can suffer lifelong changes to his hearing, vision, mobility, reasoning, memory, concentration, and more permanently disabilities.
- Spinal cord injury. This type of health condition might result in partial or total paralysis. A person may no longer be able to work, and require assistance with personal needs and day-to-day activities.
- Broken bones. In serious cases, surgery may be needed to repair the damage as a result of broken or crushed bones, and months of physical therapy are often required.
- Internal organ damage. Complications in the lungs, pancreas, or spleen can be life-threatening injuries that require immediate medical attention.
- Skin and soft tissue injuries. Bike riders can suffer serious lacerations, bruises, and road rash that can cause permanent scarring and disfigurement. In addition, injuries to their muscles, tendons, and ligaments often lead to chronic pain and limitations of movement.
- Death. Bicyclists are killed in these tragic, preventable collisions with motor vehicles. In 2016, negligent drivers caused the deaths of 840 bike riders.
What to Do After a Bike Accident
If a negligent motorist caused you or a loved one to suffer injuries in a bike accident, you may be entitled to be compensated for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. You need to retain an experienced bicycle accident attorney as soon as possible to protect your legal rights.
To learn how we can help you fight for compensation you deserve, call our office today to schedule your free consultation.