People in a variety of different jobs are at risk for developing contact dermatitis. Industrial laundromat workers can develop the irritation from the cleaning solutions used, those who work in laboratories can become injured from chemicals, and even landscapers can get the rash from touching certain vegetation or herbicides.

Those who are injured on the job often qualify for workers’ compensation, provided they know what to do after a work-related accident. One of the first steps is to go to a doctor as soon as you notice the skin irritation.

Diagnostics for Dermatitis

In order to determine exactly what is going on with your skin, your doctor will have to perform diagnostic tests. These procedures may be uncomfortable and expensive. They include:

  • A thorough examination. The doctor will speak to you about how you developed the problem. Determining what you came in contact with can help him develop a treatment plan. Additionally, he will take a good look at your skin, and observe how the irritation looks. This can help him discover how severe the dermatitis is, if it is a chronic condition, and if it is infected.
  • A patch test. If you are unsure of what caused the dermatitis, the doctor may be able to conduct a patch test to determine what you are allergic to. Called a contact delayed hypersensitivity allergy test, small amounts of potential allergens are placed on your skin. After a few days, the doctor will examine where the patch was and then determine what you are allergic to, if anything.

Will You Have to Pay for the Diagnostics?

Just about all medical treatments are extremely expensive and when you need them because you were injured on the job, workers’ compensation may cover those costs. The attorneys of Johnson and Gilbert can answer the questions you have about your rights regarding workers’ comp and help if you were wrongly denied. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation and to discuss your situation.


Post A Comment