Handling hot material and working with corrosive chemicals puts you at risk for experiencing burns in the workplace. Burns can range in severity from minor, causing simple irritation, to severe, putting you in the hospital for months. No matter how serious the injury, it can disrupt your life and prevent you from working.

Will Workers’ Comp Help Pay for Your Burn Treatment and Time Lost From Work?

Pain, disfigurement, and emotional trauma are just a few of the side effects of burns. Another is the loss of income you will experience if you are unable to work because of the burns. Fortunately, workers’ comp may pay for your treatment and other expenses related to the injury if your burn is one of the following:

  • Thermal. Typical in the food industry, thermal burns are often the result of coming in contact with hot steam, boiling water, flames, or hot surfaces. Touching hot engines, pipes, tools, or other surfaces can also result in this type of scalding.
  • Electrical. As the name implies, electrical burns are caused by coming into contact with electricity, either alternating current or direct current. Additionally, electrical burns can also occur by coming into contact with functioning electrical sockets or wire, getting struck by lightning, or falling into electrified water.
  • Chemical. Oxidizers, thinning and alkylating agents, solvents, and acids are often to blame for chemical burns. Such injuries can occur when the corrosive substances come in contact with the eyes, skin, internal organs, and ears.

Don’t Get Burned by Your Employer

One of the first calls you should make after seeking medical treatment for your on-the-job injury is to an attorney to discuss your legal rights regarding workers’ compensation. Your employer may try to prevent you from receiving the help, but a lawyer from Johnson and Gilbert will do what he can to attempt to get you the benefits you deserve. Set up a free consultation today by calling 800.556.8890 or filling out our online form.