Motorcyclists are far more likely to suffer injury than the drivers of cars who strike them, especially if they suffer a blow to the head. Brain injury is the biggest determining factor in motorcyclist deaths, but even a biker who survives the accident will likely suffer long-term consequences—and some may never fully heal from the events of the crash.
The High Costs of TBI from a Motorcycle Crash
Researchers have estimated that victims who suffer brain injury in a motorcycle crash incur double the inpatient medical costs of bikers who did not.
As the total medical expenses for head injury victims can easily rise to over $100,000, it's easy to see the financial burden a traumatic brain injury can place on victims and their families.
Recovery from a traumatic brain injury will often result in:
- Ongoing medical appointments. Some patients may benefit from physical therapy to regain lost motor skills and coordination, while others may need medication to treat seizure disorders resulting from the crash.
- Psychological therapy. Victims often battle depression or anxiety after an accident, especially if the brain injury has resulted in permanent paralysis or disability.
- Mental and cognitive regression. Severe trauma may cause memory loss, inability to concentrate, or a loss of cognitive and intellectual abilities.
- Behavioral changes. Brain damage can cause changes in personality, such as emotional outbursts, mood swings, and inability to recognize social cues.
- Surgery. Patients may need surgical intervention to stop hemorrhages (bleeds) in the brain or to correct seizure disorders that don't respond to medication.
- Nursing care. A brain injury that causes someone the inability to control bodily movements or to live independently will require around-the-clock care.
- Life support. Some patients may never regain consciousness after a crash, suffering a permanent coma state that requires breathing assistance and hospital life support.
In many cases, brain injury victims will be severely limited in their ability to earn a living, depriving them of income at a time when they need it most.
Our legal team can listen to the details of your story to see who may be held liable for the financial costs of your accident. Simply fill out the form on this page today to schedule your free case evaluation with one of our experienced injury attorneys.